Wednesday, July 15, 2009

apARTment

My roommate has been turning our apartment into an art gallery. Not that I'm complaining. It's actually kind of nice to have a place to display the new pieces I have. This also means you are welcome to come by and check them out. Our door is usually always (literally) open.


But with this new increase in volume, comes the problem of space when it comes time to move out of here. Hopefully I can get rid of some pieces, sell them preferably, but the only people who ever see any of my work are my friends and they have no money whatsoever to purchase art. That's okay though.


I've been thinking a lot lately (and by lately I mean over the past day and a half) about my future in art. My plan was to head off to a masters program for fine art somewhere in either the bay area or NYC or DC. But what I'm considering now is making a commitment to move up to nor cal and attend a community college taking only art classes for a year and then applying to a masters program.

That way I'll take more time to augment my portfolio and give myself a chance to change my mind about where I might like to go after that.


The other looming issue is paying off my student loans. As a parting gift, UCLA is leaving me with roughly 25,000 dollars worth of debt after I graduate. I'll have a 6 month grace period to find a job and decide where I would like to go, and as long as I remain a full-time student my loan payments will continue to be deferred. With that in consideration, it seems worth it to take the time off before graduate school.

Otherwise I feel too rushed. I already have so many things I need to concentrate on during my last year at UCLA, this new plan really seems to lessen the amount of stress I'll be under this fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment